Modernism Week has announced that it will offer an online auction of intriguing and distinctive items, and customized architectural experiences, just in time for the holiday shopping season.
The online bidding event, called the ‘Best of Modernism’ Auction, will run eight days from December 4 through 12, and will feature more than 45 unique architectural tours and experiences, exclusive VIP Modernism Week event tickets and experiences packages for February 2022, access to prime sold-out parties during Modernism Week, and uncommon, exclusive items not typically available to the public.
Bidders will need to set up an account on the auction page and submit bids during the event. The winners will be announced after bidding concludes. The ‘Best of Modernism’ Auction will take place at modernismweek.com starting December 4, 2021 at 12 PM PST. All funds raised will go to support Modernism Week, a 501 (c) (3) charitable organization.
“Modernism Week is offering an online auction filled with unique experiences and items just in time for holiday shopping for you or your family,” said Mark Davis, Modernism Week board member and auction chairman. “We have secured some very exciting items from high to low, including some architectural surprises. There is literally something for everyone, including those hard-to-please Modernists on your shopping list.”
Highlighted auction items include:
The Inaugural High Desert House Tour (Doolittle House) by Ken Kellogg:
Modernism Week will present the inaugural tour of one of the most desirable and exclusive residential properties to ever be built. Admired all over the world, this special home, nestled against the edge of Joshua Tree National Park, has never before been open to public guests. A special morning and afternoon private tour is planned for only 25 guests per tour. Purchase includes roundtrip transportation from Palm Springs and an elegant outdoor reception. Valued at $1,000 per person ($500 is tax deductible from each ticket).
Private catered dinner for six (6) at the Edith Farnsworth House
This signature auction item is a rare and very exciting experience to dream about. A memory to last forever, the winning bidder and up to five (5) guests will enjoy an elegant catered candlelight dinner at the 1951 Edith Farnsworth House, designed by Mies van der Rohe and arguably one of the most important architectural masterworks in the world. Located in Plano IL, an hour southwest of downtown Chicago. Travel is not included. Valued at $6,000.
Stay at Case Study House 26
Enjoy a 3-night weekday stay, or a 2-night weekend stay at Case Study House 26 in the hills of San Rafael, CA (Marin County, just north of San Francisco) for up to four (4) occupants. One of the few remaining Case Study Houses, this residence was designed by Beverly Thorne and built in 1963. Travel is not included. Valued at $3,500 or more depending on time of year.
Trina Turk Palm Springs Experience
The winner bidder of this incredible shopping extravaganza during Modernism Week at the Trina Turk Palm Springs boutique and three (3) guests will each receive a $500 in-store Trina Turk gift card for a private two-hour personal shopping experience with Trina Turk stylists, drinks and each guest will depart with an exclusive Trina Turk-designed gift. Valued at $4,000.
The Ultimate VIP Modernism Week Opening Weekend: 4 Nighttime/5 Daytime Events and Party Package (February 17-21, 2022)
This never-before-offered 4-night/5-day package will allow the lucky winner and a guest to attend an exclusive party every night and have access to the best Modernism Week events, many of which are already sold out. The auction item includes VIP access for two (2) lucky guests to several significant Modernism Week opening weekend events, including the fabulous Opening Night Party, Modernism Week Show & Sale Preview Party, Saturday Night at the Sinatra Estate, tickets to the four-course dinner and fantastic show “A Night at the Chi Chi,” and much more. Valued at $4,000 for the hip Ace Hotel, or splurge and choose to go for an upscale midcentury boutique property, Holiday House, designed in 1951 by desert modernism architect Herbert W. Burns, in the historic Tennis Club District. Valued at $6,500.
Two (2) Night Stay at Mod West Ranch, a Midcentury Ranch Experience in the Greater Joshua Tree High Desert
The historic and chic Mod West Ranch is nestled in the stunning boulder-strewn canyon of Gamma Gulch in Pioneertown, California, just a short drive away from Joshua Tree National Park. It is furnished with retro and vintage furniture, multiple original Malm fireplaces, and a stunning outdoor fire pit and spa for night sky viewing. Sleeps six guests. Valued at $3,000.
A VIP Modernism Week Signature Home Tour with Private Car and Driver
The winning bidder and their lucky guest will tour Modernism Week’s Signature Home Tour in style with a car and driver to see homes that best represent Palm Springs architecture and design, then lunch at Jake’s Palm Springs with a $100 Jake’s gift certificate. 3 packages in total, (1st) afternoon of 2/20/22, (2nd) 2/27/2022 morning and (3rd) 2/27 afternoon. Valued at $750 for each tour.
Two (2) VIP Presentation Seats for Vera-The Art and Life of an Icon, with Susan Seid and Trina Turk and two (2) tickets to attend the sold-out Exclusive Sunset Cocktail Reception Honoring the Legacy of Vera at Trina Turk’s historic Ship of the Desert home in Palm Springs, plus a stunning framed vintage 60s-era Vera scarf to display in your home.
Vera Neumann was the most successful female entrepreneur of her time and from the 60s through the 70s created the first true lifestyle brand. Susan Seid and fashion designed Trina Turk, along with NYC gallery owner and vintage Vera collector Alexander Gray, and Elissa Auther, PhD, Chief Curator Museum of Arts and Design/NYC, will conduct a lively presentation and discussion about Vera on February 24. The auction item also includes an Uber car service certificate for two to attend the sunset cocktail party in the exclusive Mesa neighborhood of Palm Springs, where all attendees will receive a special gift to cherish. Valued at $1,200.
Two (2) VIP Seats for Keynote Presentation by architect Jeanne Gang and Reception.
World renowned architect Jeanne Gang, FAIA, is the founding principal of Studio Gang, an international architecture and urban design practice based in Chicago. This auction item includes two reserved VIP seats for the presentation, a meet and greet with Gang, a signed copy of her recently published book, Studio Gang – Architecture, and access for two (2) to attend the elegant post-presentation reception in the Palm Springs Art Museum’s Elrod sculpture garden. Valued at $850.
For the Palm Springs Desert Modernist and Architect William Cody Enthusiast
A private tour with the owners of this stunning, recently restored residence designed by William Cody in the exclusive gated community of Southridge Estates, just across from the Lautner Elrod House, is the highlight of a day that any architecture aficionado would want to do. Along with the private tour, the winning bidder and three (3) guests, will start the day with four (4) VIP reserved seats to the Master of the Midcentury: The Architecture of William F. Cody presentation Friday, February 18, receive a signed copy of the newly published book of the same name, and complete their experience with an elegant lunch at Jake’s Palm Springs with a $200 gift certificate. Valued at $700.
Other auction items include:
- Two (2) Reserved VIP Center Seats for all 29 of the Annenberg Theater Presentations, Films Fashion Show and Jazz Events, along with Access to Two (2) Elegant Receptions Valued at $1,900.
- Lunch for four (4) with Charles Phoenix at the elegant Il Corso Restaurant, in downtown Palm Springs, for the winning bidder! Also includes four (4) VIP seats for Phoenix’s “FABULOUS FLORIDA IN THE 50s” presentation on Saturday, February 19, 2022, and two (2) signed copies of his book, “Addicted to Americana: Celebrating Classic and Kitschy American Life & Style.” This is a Charles Phoenix experience to remember! Valued at $950.
- Two VIP Seats for ‘A Very Cool Shag Experience with Josh Agle’ talk Sunday, February 20, including a meet and greet, a signed Shag book and a set of 5 signed Shag Modernism Week Commemorative Posters Valued at $600.
- A 2-night stay in the Executive Suite (a former boardroom) of the new Hotel Marcel, an adaptive reuse of the stunning brutalist masterpiece by Marcel Breuer, the former 1969 Armstrong Rubber Company HQ, located in New Haven, Connecticut. Includes one dinner, two breakfasts and a walking tour of Modern New Haven/Yale. Travel is not included. Valued at $3,500.
- A rare opportunity for 2 couples (4 guests) for an overnight stay in the privately owned 1956 Frank Lloyd Wright Ablin House, in Bakersfield, California. The house still contains all of the original FLW-designed furniture, and the stay includes a candlelight catered dinner and breakfast. Valued at $1,900.
- Original art by Vera Neumann, of Vera scarves fame, entitled ‘Silent Night’, 23” square, copyrighted May 15, 1974. This item is a tissue collage and is based on a watercolor study by Vera, which is also included in this auction item, along with the signed book Vera, The Art and Life of an Icon’, in which this watercolor is featured. Valued at $5,500.
- Unopened Lego Set of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater House Everyone loves Lego! This item is from the 2009 Architecture Series 21105, no longer in production and is a collector’s item.
- Keith Haring ‘Figures’ Case Study Fiberglass Shell Chair, Keith Haring embossed limited edition “The Political Line’ (27”h x 19”w) art and Keith Haring: 31 Subway Drawings book.
The auction also includes original photography (including works from Lance Gerber, Andrew Pielage, James Schnepf, Robin Hill, William Dey, Tim Street-Porter, Ann Horn, and the Chicago Historical Society), art (from Carlos Dinez, Andres Bonino, Sister Corita Kent, and Shag), and unique collector’s items such as vintage Vera and Rudi Gernreich scarves, handcrafted Gaetano Pesce for Fish Design tableware, out-of-print publications, signed limited edition prints, household goods and vintage linens, a hand-woven modern signed rug, Kartell Componibili Storage module by Anna Castilli for Kartel, Italy from the 1960s, and more.
More information: To receive Modernism Week updates, visit modernismweek.com and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.