Drivers are breathing a little easier, but only a little, as gas prices continue to fall. But if you want the best deals in Palm Springs you’ll have to drive to its outskirts.
Why that’s news: The national average price for regular gasoline is $4.52 per gallon — down 15 cents in the last week, according to AAA data from Monday. That would be a bargain in California, however, where gas is still averaging $5.90 a gallon.
- While a painful price to pay, that actually represents a 19-cent drop from last week and a 54-cent drop from this time last month.
- California still has the most expensive gas in the nation and the second-highest gas tax (53 cents a gallon).
- In Riverside County, the average price for a gallon of gas this morning is $5.78.
Zoom in: According to GasBuddy, as of Tuesday afternoon the cheapest gallon of gas in the city limits of Palm Springs was at the Pilot location at 6605 North Indian Canyon Dr.
- Residents willing to drive to that station near Interstate-10 were paying $5.49 for a gallon of regular gas.
- Closer to civilization, you could find regular for $5.59 a gallon at the Shell station at 4875 East Ramon Rd.
FWIW: Some 23 million Californians’ bank accounts will get a boost of $200 to $1,050 later this year thanks to a new round of payments approved by state lawmakers that are aimed at mitigating higher prices for gas and other goods.
- That should be enough to buy between 50 and 280 Cinnabon Classic Rolls at the Pilot station as you fill your tank.