Soho House outlines plans for Colony 29 property, submits them to city
Just last month, leaders of Soho House’s parent company, Membership Collective Group, “emphasized they were in growth mode.” It appears Palm Springs is a rung on the ladder toward profitability.-
Plans to redevelop one of the city’s historic properties were submitted this week by one of the world’s most exclusive members-only clubs
The news: Colony 29 in the Historic Tennis Club neighborhood is set to be re-developed into a “modern-day swim club” operated by Soho House. The project’s backers emailed The Post about their plans Wednesday afternoon.
- The seven-acre enclave was built in 1929 and is made up of six homes set into a hillside at 147 South Tahquitz Drive.
- It’s a popular venue for weddings, and one of the homes was featured in “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.”
- Investor Ron Burkle purchased the property, along with The O’Donnell House, Willows Historic Palm Springs Inn, and Le Vallauris restaurant, three years ago
What/When: Starting soon, developers hope a swimming pool will be added to the property, as well as an 80-seat outdoor dining area.
- The construction is described as “limited,” and developers say they will be rehabilitating the existing buildings and any new construction will be inspired by the current Spanish style of the site.
- They hope to open the doors by 2024.
What they’re saying: “Soho House is an inclusive space, designed for our members to come together to eat, drink and create, and we know Palm Springs is already a popular destination for many of them,” said Jarrett Stuhl, managing director of development for Soho House Americas. “We look forward to working with the local community to deliver a House that reflects and complements the existing landscape and celebrates the energy and diversity of Palm Springs.”
FWIW: To get in, you have to be a member, or be the guest of a member. The process for getting approved for membership apparently involves submitting a headshot, application, and nominations from two current members.
- To keep membership young and cool, there’s a discount if you’re under 27. The nominating committee may also consider your career when evaluating you.
- Even then, there’s still a record high 79,000-person waitlist to score a membership.
Zoom out: Just last month, leaders of Soho House’s parent company, Membership Collective Group, “emphasized they were in growth mode,” according to The Points Guy. It appears Palm Springs is a rung on the ladder toward profitability.
- Membership Collective Group also owns The Saguaro Hotel in South Palm Springs.