Suspect held on $2 million bail following deadly Downtown Palm Springs crash Monday evening has prior DUI convictions

Court records in California and Oregon show a man arrested on suspicion of DUI and causing a deadly crash in Palm Springs faced similar charges dating back to 2006.

A multi-vehicle collision near a busy Downtown Palm Springs intersection Monday evening left one man dead and another arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and DUI. Court records show the man has previous DUI convictions.

Palm Springs Police Chief Andy Mills said a conversion van seen by witnesses traveling at a high rate of speed southbound on North Palm Canyon Drive struck a parked vehicle and then careened into other vehicles at about 5 PM near the intersection of North Palm Canyon Drive and Alejo Road, causing a chain reaction. Seven people were inside five vehicles involved in the incident. Four of the people were transported to the hospital for further evaluation; two did not seek medical attention.

The Riverside County Coroner’s Office reported Tuesday that a seventh person, a 36-year-old Chula Vista man, succumbed to his injuries at Desert Regional Medical Center approximately 30 minutes after the collision. Mills said that some motorists involved in the incident had “major injuries.”

Local reporting and journalism you can count on.

Subscribe to The Palm Springs Post

The driver of the van, a 41-year-old who public records show has an address in Portland, Ore., was booked into jail in Indio just after midnight Tuesday and was ordered held on $2 million bail. He faces three felony charges, including vehicular manslaughter, murder, and driving under the influence (DUI). His next court appearance is currently scheduled for Thursday at 8 AM at the Larson Justice Center.

Riverside County court records show the man was convicted of DUI in Palm Springs in 2008. Oregon court records show he also has a DUI conviction there in 2006, as well as dozens of other court appearances for traffic and parking violations. The DUI conviction was dismissed in 2008 after he completed a diversion program.

Police had alerted the public at 5:40 PM to avoid the intersection while they worked to clear the scene. The roadway remained closed until later Monday evening.

Sign up for news updates.

Receive vital news about our city in your inbox for free every day.

100% local.

The Post was founded by local residents who saw gaps in existing news coverage and believed our community deserved better.

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Scroll to Top